Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunburn or Hypothermia?
So crazy our weather this year! So far it has been the wettest June on record, it feels like April showers in June. We have had so many baseball games and arts in the park canceled because of all the rain. Add to the list of canceled activities....Father's Day BBQ! On the Saturday before Father's Day we have a get-to-gether at Dayt's mom's house and then off to my brother's house for a BBQ and water party. Last year, sunshine and sunburns...this year we had plenty of water...just not the kind we were interested in! The kids had been looking forward to the water party at Ty's all week. They have been a little bummed that June is almost over and they haven't been swimming outside yet. They kept hoping - crossing their fingers that the weather would clear by 4pm. They even brought all their swim gear! So sad! It rained and rained. We went to Grandpa Mac's to wish him and the rest of the guys Happy Father's Day and then off to Ty's. I can't even tell you how many times they asked me to go out and swim. After we ate dinner I said I didn't care what they did, I mean it was 50 degrees outside with wind and rain. Who would take the plunge anyway......uh yeah, that would be my kid outside with hypothermia!

Don't you just love a good cannonball in only 4 inches of water? Only Josh would try that!

Jantz always quick to follow his older brother, and just as fearless...and brainless maybe! I wouldn't even go outside it was so cold...I took pictures from the top of the deck. And YES it was raining during these pictures!
The girls were a lot smarter, they just tested the water with their toes and took off back inside!

Here are some pics earlier in the week of the kids working on their Father's Day project. They each made some hearts with special messages on them to stick on Dayt's car.


Do you love the I-pod in Abby's ear and Josh and Jantz turned toward the TV...kids of this generation! :)
But what do the hearts say about their personality...

Here are Abby's hearts - laid out in a pattern, and cut as perfect as possible.
Josh's pile - no organization whatsoever, all different shapes and sizes

Jantz's hearts - all the same color, and could be the cutest pile ever!The kids were so excited to sneak out on Saturday night and decorate the car. I was working on my lesson and Dayt was reading a book so I told him I needed to some paper to make some wordstrips for part of the lesson and grabbed the kids and ushered them outside to work on the car. I gave them some window crayons - showed them how to use them, gave them some tape and then went back in so Dayt wouldn't be tipped off. I gave them a few minutes and then I went out to get them. I peeked into the house, coast was clear so I sent them to their lockers to put away their shoes. I told them to stay quiet while I made sure Dayt was still in his room before they made their way down the hall and into their bedrooms. Dayt came around the corner just as the kids peeked out of the mudroom. They all started shrieking and running for their rooms. Dayt just looked at me funny and said what are all you guys doing? Jantzen says....uh uh mom made us get out of bed to put our shoes away and then we just had a snack - like one peanut! (So random!) Josh said at the same time - we just fed the cats. I was laughing!




Dayt was a good sport the next morning. Although I am sure he was a little embarassed in a way, he still drove us to church in his car. The kids were thrilled! On the way to church Jantzen said, "Dad remember when I told you that we were putting our shoes away and having a snack and eating a peanut last night...that was funny. You can lie to your dad on Father's Day!"
Who doesn't love this kid?! The rain had washed away all their artwork by the end of church, and dashed all their plans for the day. They had spent so much time planning their activities to do with their dad today. I felt sad for them. But we made the best of it! Dang rain!

We had planned to blindfold him and take him to our favorite spot in the south fork campground and set up a little 3 man tent and have a picnic lunch. We were going to do a little hike down the river and then the kids each planned a special activity and worked hard on all the preparations by themselves. Abby came up with a water balloon game for us to play, Josh made some targets so we could shoot bb guns and Jantz chose to play tuna toss. Considering that everything is covered in mud right now we canceled the mountains and went to the park! We still had our picnic lunch. The kids picked out special items for Dayt including some of his favorites, PB&J * Fritos * Coke* Better Cheddars crackers. Then they packed them some lunchables and sprite to go along with it. We played at the "castle park" on the playground and walked through the trees down to the river. They played tetherball and soccer too. I thought this was a cute picture of Dayt and Josh having a contest to see who could jump out of their swing the farthest.
All in all it was a good day.


6 comments:

The Mom said...

Oh I am just lovin these pics! So much fun you guys really have. I will say that all this rain we're getting has made for beautiful lawns and flowers. Too bad my kids don't look at it that way!

Ed said...

Sorry to hear all your plans dashed by rain. Whatever the weather is doing, we like it around here. It has been a BEAUTIFUL and record breaking cool June. Love the hearts on the car. We do that to Jesse every now and then for Valentines day, the kids LOVE it!

Ange said...

LOVED the swimming in the less-than-desirable weather - totally something my kids would have done - to heck with the rain!
And I love it when Dads appreciate the 'home-mades' and when the kids love making the home-mades.
Sweet family!

Lara said...

I loved that car all decorated! and what creative kids! Those ideas sounded so fun. Sounds like you've got next years Father's Day all planned.

I am done with the rain too. Enough already.

Kami Lynn said...

Okay...they don't come cuter than this. I love the hearts...especially Jantz's. Today is sunburn! And I hear you were at Lagoon yesterday! So sunburn yesterday as well. tomorrow the forcast is hypothermia!!!

Mechelle said...

Cute car idea! Abram was saying something about it on Sunday but I wasn't sure what he was talking about.