Sunday, August 30, 2009

I'm obsessed!

It is hurricane season - which I find fascinating. Mother nature can be ferocious and it can be so exciting and scary and SO many things all at once. It's not that I want people to die or get hurt, but watching these hurricanes come to be - how and why they form and what path they may take...it's all so intriguing. For a couple of years now I will go to weather.com almost every day to get a forecast on our weather, I am totally addicted to the hour by hour details, or to get an update on something else exciting happening somewhere else in the world at the time. But this season I have totally geeked out! Not only do I read the weather on the internet, I have been watching it on channel 362 - YES it's crazy that I know which channel the weather channel is. So the other day when all the Hurricane Bill hype was going on I decided to tune into channel 362 to just "listen" to the updates in the background. You see I had much to accomplish that day and I was afraid that if I checked every hour or so online I might get distracted and check my email or read and article that interested me or whatever, and not get my stuff done. I thought the tv would be my friend. Now mind you, up until this point I had only tuned into channel 362 maybe 5 times EVER! So I start my laundry, cleaning out kids closets etc and turn on the tv in the background. To my excitement they are talking about the Santa Clara river flooding that happened in St. George a couple of years ago. They were playing the actual footage of when the houses fell into the river. SAD - I AGREE - but sooooo interesting! I couldn't look away! I tried to pause the tv and do stuff in between but then "Storm Stories" came on. Then more good stuff - a show called "Storm Chasers" - all about TORNADOS and I was hooked again! And THEN some Hurricane Katrina stories come on...uh oh! They had a couple of different rescue stories going on at a time. Seriously, I had to watch - I mean I HAD to find out what happened to them, would they be rescued, would the poor dog die out on a piece of drifting wood for 12 hours. I won't go on. The bottom line is that The Weather Channel actually has some pretty cool shows not just weather updates on the "8's" and for some reason there is something about destruction that you just can't look away. Is it too late for me to become a meteorologist? I know you are all going to turn on the TV this week and check it out now! There is an area of disturbance in the Atlantic that might turn into a Tropical Depression in the next couple of days - along with Hurricane Jimena and Tropical Depression Kevin - oh yeah - I'll be watching! So maybe it's just me and Hunter obsessed with weather. But I know you ALL have something quirky you are obsessed with - so let's hear it!!

1 comments:

Lara said...

You are SO funny. I will have to check out the weather channel next time there is nothing good on and I am in need of some couch potato time. With all this weather channel watching maybe you can answer this question for me...Who gets to name the hurricanes? What a fun job. And why do they choose the names they do? I have always wondered that.

As for my quirks...I don't have any. Notta one. ;) Ha Ha Ha!!