Sunday, February 01, 2009

My Sweet Abbles!
I've never been one who can articulate thoughts very well, but here goes...Occasionally I second guess my parenting skills, or lack thereof, and wonder if I am making the right choices when parenting these kids of mine. I tend to error on the more strict side, my kids seldom if ever get away with things - I believe in boundaries. That being said, lately as I have been juggling more roles than ever before, I have had a harder time trying to do each of those roles well when my time in each role is so much more limited than ever before. I am NOT a perfect parent, my children are not perfect children. We try to do the best we can. Sometimes we don't get scripture study done, sometimes we miss a prayer here and there, sometimes FHE doesn't end with spiritual overload, homework gets overlooked, I forget to pay lunch money, sometimes the house is a disaster, dinner doesn't happen, and sometimes I am guilty of raising my voice far above where it should be. Sometimes I feel like I am not doing enough, and feel like I am failing in so many areas. And then sometimes there are days that remind you that it isn't always about what happens during "each" day. Sometimes you can't measure the success of each individual day, sometimes you have to look at the big picture. Thank heavens for the small, sweet, simple moments that remind us that the most important things in life aren't always the things that take place every day.
Today Abby came into my bathroom while I was getting ready for church and told me that she wanted to fast. I was somewhat surprised, for she is only six. I asked her repeatedly and each time she replied yes, I want to fast. I reminded her a little about what it meant to fast, and we talked about the different things, situations or people that we might fast for. I told her she could choose something to keep in her thoughts today. She thought for a minute and then said, I want to ask Heavenly Father to help me learn subtraction. I said, would you like me to help you say your prayer to start your fast (thinking that she might not know how to do this considering she was young and had never done this before) she said no - I can do it myself, but you can come with me and listen. I love her! Thank you Abby for reminding me about what really matters.

This is one of my favorite pictures ever - Veronica Reeve posted it on her blog last summer. She does the most amazing job - www.veronicareeve.com

7 comments:

Ed said...

Isabel fasts more often than not all on her own accord. Sweet girls! They are great examples!

Lara said...

What an angel! Abby is such a good example to those around her. Maybe if I tell my kids that even Abby fasts they will have more of a desire to do it themselves. ;)
I have no doubt Abby will get a little extra help from above on her subraction. And that picture is magazine worthy! Gorgeous!!

Lara said...

One more thing, I think what touched me the most about this story is that Abby said you could come with her and listen. It doesn't get any sweeter than that.

The Mom said...

You know Trish - She's a lot like you were as a little girl. Always trying to find that proper road to excelling and becoming great. Your a good mother....why?...because your as true and real as they come!!! Love the photo.

Mara said...

That picture is adorable. I love this post. I feel the same way about my less than great mom days. It is nice to every now and then see the forest for the trees of motherhood.

Mara said...

I read this to the kids and they want to fast next fast sunday too.


If Abby can do it, they want to try too!

LaDeaux family said...

If Abby is coming to you saying she wants to fast, that means you're doing a good job being a mom. We are all just like you and have good and bad days. Your house is just normal like everyone else's (or at least like mine). Keep up the good work!